Terms & Conditions
Healthy Carlow in partnership with Carlow Photographic Society
CARLOW – A Pandemic in Pictures
Closing Date: 12th April 2021
1. To enter:
• To enter our photo competition, go to www.carlow.ie and complete the online entry form. If the entrant is under 16 on the 12th April 2021 they will need the consent of a parent/guardian/carer.
• The photo competition is only open to people living in County Carlow.
• The theme for the photo competition, “Carlow – A Pandemic in Pictures” is a broad theme, to encourage creativity, imagination and variety for the photographers. Photos that capture the changes that have taken place in our environment and in our own lives and livelihoods – empty streets, home haircuts, home-made items, thank you signs for our frontline workers, social distancing, empty shelves, life at home during lockdown, switching off, being creative, out walking, connecting with older people, taking up hobbies, back to nature, relaxation, nourishing your body and mind, managing your mood, and your county Carlow, are all permissible elements of the theme, only limited by your own imagination.
• A snapshot into this unusual pandemic time that will be accessible for future generations to see and learn from, through your photographs, and recorded for posterity in the Book.
• Photos can be colour, black and white, digitally enhanced or created.
• Photographs must have been taken anywhere in County Carlow.
• Entry to this competition is free of charge.
• You may enter up to 3 times
• All photos in .jpeg format
• All photographs must have a title.
• All entries must be accompanied by a paragraph outlining the details of where and when the relevant image was captured, and a line or two about the photographer who took the photograph, in under 50 words.
• The competition is open to amateur photographers in three categories, based on your age on or after 11th March 2020:-
• Category 1. Children aged 7 to 12 years old.
• Category 2. Young People aged 13 to 17 years old.
• Category 3. Adults aged 18 years and older.
• A €2,000 total Prize Fund will be awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each category as follows:-
• Category 1. Voucher Prizes 1st €200, 2nd €100, 3rd €100.
• Category 2. Voucher Prizes 1st €300, 2nd €200, 3rd €100.
• Category 3. Voucher Prizes 1st €500, 2nd €300, 3rd €200.
• In addition, the Judges will select a large number of images to be included in a Book, with the nine winning photographs, which will be produced after the conclusion of the photo competition. Each entrant whose image is selected for the Book will also be awarded a prize of a copy of the Book.
• Child consent forms are part of the entry form.
• Entrants must complete all sections of the online form. Online entrants under the age of 16 will need their parents or guardians to fill out the sections asking for their parents/guardian’s name, phone number and email address, and to tick the box for permission to their young person’s participation. All contact from the competition organisers will be made through the parent/guardian who provides the required consents.
• To enter the competition, you must complete the online entry form and upload your image/photo as a .JPEG/.JPG file attachment. The entry form can be found at: here You may enter the competition up to three times with different images/photos, using the same here for entry each time.
• We encourage you to use the highest possible resolution jpeg image, to a maximum size of 25MB.
• Your entry can be submitted at any time from Friday 12th March 2021 until midnight on 12th April 2021
• Any entries after this date will not be accepted.
• Entries by post will not be accepted, due to Covid -19 Regulations and restrictions.
• Neither Healthy Carlow, Carlow County Council, Carlow Photographic Society nor its affiliated entities involved with this competition are responsible for printing or typographical errors in any materials relating to the photo competition or the production of the book; fraudulent, lost, late, misdirected, incomplete or altered entries; or entries which are processed late or incorrectly or are lost due to computer or other technical malfunction.
• Healthy Carlow and Carlow County Council reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this competition and/or vary competition rules at any time without prior notice and their decision as regards exercise of such rights shall be final, and no correspondence shall be entered into.
• Healthy Carlow, Carlow County Council or Carlow Photographic Society cannot accept any responsibility for any problem with the internet service provider, network or other system which may result in any entry being delayed or not properly registered.
• The competition is not open to professional photographers. For the purposes of this competition, a professional photographer will be considered to be someone who makes more than half their annual income from the sale of their photographs, with the reference year as 2019.
• The competition is not open to Children under 7 on 11th March 2020.
• This competition is not open to the committees and sub-committees of the competition organisers in Healthy Carlow, Carlow County Council or Carlow Photographic Society, or its contracting partners (be they employees or contractors) or their immediate family members. For these purposes an “immediate family member” includes a spouse, partner, child, stepchild, grandchild, brother, step brother, sister, step sister, parent, step parent or legal guardian.
• Photographs for this competition must have been taken in adherence to any government restrictions, regulations, and guidelines in relation to Covid 19 pandemic (including travel restrictions) applicable at the time of taking the photograph.
• Any persons in the photo must have given and necessary permission/consent to be submitted in the entry.
• Use of a false name or address by a competition entrant will disqualify them from receiving any prize.
• Healthy Carlow and Carlow County Council may in their absolute discretion disqualify any person or photo entry found to be in disregard of these rules and their decision as regards disqualification shall be final, and no correspondence shall be entered into.
• Participation in this competition denotes acceptance of these terms and conditions and any additional competition specific terms and conditions which may be advertised or notified by Healthy Carlow or Carlow County Council.
• For the avoidance of doubt, in the event of any dispute regarding the rules, conduct or the results of the competition or the provision of prizes (or any elements of the prizes), the decision of Healthy Carlow and Carlow County Council and/or the Judges as appropriate shall be final and conclusive.
• Where an individual or a residential or commercial property, belonging to someone other than the photographer is featured, or it has been taken on private land the photographer must have the necessary permissions and be prepared to provide written consent, if requested by Healthy Carlow or Carlow County Council.
• Participants can submit maximum of 3 photographs into the competition; however, multiple submissions of the same photo will count as one entry. The first entry only will be accepted.
• Only one photo entry per submission at a time.
• Any individual found to use multiple accounts to enter will be ineligible for any entry.
• Entries may be disqualified if they:
• Include on their image any identifying marks of who the entrant is.
• Contain any offensive, defamatory, illegal, malicious, indecent or other inappropriate content;
• Include trademarks, logos, copyright, designs or any other third party owned materials or intellectual property which the entrant does not have the express permission to use;
• Include names, likenesses, photographs or similar of any individual taken without their express permission.
• Carlow County Council reserves the right to exclude any entry from the competition at any time and in its absolute discretion if they have reason to believe that a participant has breached these rules.
• All images submitted into this competition may be used in promotions and advertising by Carlow County Council without credit to the photographer.
4. Copyright and Permissions:
• Copyright in the photograph remains with the original copyright holder, who must be the photographer who created the image(s) and submitted them for the photo competition.
• By entering the competition Participants guarantee that they are the sole owner of the copyright for each photograph they submit. Entries submitted on behalf of another person (except as parent or guardian of a photographer) will not be accepted.
• It is the responsibility of each participant to ensure that their submitted photographs have been taken with any necessary permission of the subject and do not infringe the copyright of any third party.
• All submissions must be compliant with GDPR legalisation.
• By entering the competition Participants warrant that their entry does not infringe on the privacy rights, copyright or any other rights of any person.
• By entering the competition the participant warrants that they have obtained any necessary permission of those pictured in the photograph (or, where the photograph shows any persons under 16 (on 12th April 2021) have the necessary consent of their parent/guardian/carer) for the usage rights required by the competition and shall indemnify Carlow County Council as the Promoter, or any of its partners or associates, against any claims whatsoever, alleged or made by any third parties in respect of such infringement.
• You always own the copyright of your own photo. When you submit a photo entry to us, you grant the organisers a licence to use the photo in a publication, social media, media channels and promotion of the Healthy Carlow Keep Well Campaign and Carlow County Council.
5. The Prizes / The Winners:
• Carlow County Council will notify the prize winners via email/phone in May. There will be nine prizes for the 3 categories for One for All vouchers.
• 3 categories: 7 – 12 years, 13 – 17 years, 18 years and over on 11th March 2020
• 7 -12: 1st prize – €200, 2nd prize – €100, 3rd prize – €100
• 13 – 17: 1st prize – €300, 2nd prize €200, 3rd prize – €100
• 18 and over: 1st prize – €500, 2nd prize €300, 3rd prize – €200
• The decision of the judging panel is final and no correspondence shall be entered into.
• Prizes are vouchers and are non-transferable and will only be awarded to the winners chosen by the Judges.
• Healthy Carlow and Carlow County Council reserves the right to change prize details without notice.
• Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission to use the relevant winner’s name, hometown and likeness for purposes of advertising, promotion or publicity in any media without additional compensation and prize winners agree to take part in such related promotional activities Healthy Carlow and Carlow county council may require.
• Prizes not claimed within specified time limit on the voucher (For Information – vouchers now normally have a five-year time limit) will be deemed to have been forfeited and Healthy Carlow and Carlow County Council may dispose of, or reassign as they deem appropriate such prizes without any liability to any winner.
• Unsuccessful entrants for the photo competition or for inclusion in the Book will not be contacted and no feedback on any entry will be provided.
• A snapshot into this unusual pandemic time that will be accessible for future generations to see and learn from, through your photographs, and is recorded for posterity in the Book.
6. Data Privacy:
• Please retain a copy of these Terms and Conditions rules for your reference.
• By entering the competition, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.
• Information requests on or Questions about these Terms and Conditions should be directed to [email protected] with Carlow – A Pandemic in Pictures in the email subject title.
• Neither Healthy Carlow, Carlow County Council, Carlow Photographic Society nor any of the Judges accept any responsibility whatsoever for any death, injury or other damage, loss, expense or liability arising as a result of your participation in the competition (including for the avoidance of doubt in the course of taking photographs for purposes of entering a photograph into the competition), or otherwise.
• The winners will be decided by a panel of three judges. The judges’ decisions are final, and no correspondence will be entered into in any circumstances. By entering this competition you accept those decisions, and accept all the terms and conditions of entry.
• Judges will decide on nine photo prize winners based on the brief of the theme: Carlow – A Pandemic in Pictures. The Judges will decide on a large selection of images as a prize for entry in the Book publication also.
• The judges will be announced at the commencement of the competition.
• The winners will be decided by the panel of three judges. The judges’ decisions are final, and no correspondence will be entered into in any circumstances. By entering this competition, you accept those decisions, and accept all the terms and conditions of entry.
9. Publicity Release and Use of Personal Information
• By accepting any prize, all winners agree and acknowledge that the organisers Healthy Carlow and Carlow County Council may use their personal details in any promotional campaign or publicity relating to Healthy Carlow and this competition.
• The consent of a parent/guardian is required as part of the entry form for those entrants who are under 16 years old on 12th April 2021. See here for information on digital consent.
• Healthy Carlow and Carlow County Council are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
• Privacy Notice: Our Privacy Statement sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be collected and processed by us.
The above linked policy sets out our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. The following also applies:
1. The contact and profile data we collect from you will also be collected when you submit an
entry for our “Carlow – A Pandemic in Pictures.” Photo Competition & Book publication.
2. We may use information held about you to contact you by email, telephone or post with
information and updates about or in response to your entry for the competition.
3. If you enter the Competition and your entry goes on to win a prize in the Competition or is selected for the Book we will publish your entry in the book, and may publish it in libraries, on our website, social media, print media or tv/radio together with personal biographical data about you that you have provided to us.
4. By submitting an entry, you grant Healthy Carlow and Carlow County Council the right to reproduce, make available and publish your photograph free of charge or restriction in both digital and printed formats, on television, online, in news and publicity articles and in promotional materials, as well as in public exhibitions.
In case of any questions regarding our privacy practices, if you would like to execute your rights or would like to submit a complaint please contact [email protected] quoting Carlow – A Pandemic in Pictures competition.
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Data Protection Commission who deal with data protection issues at www.dataprotection.ie . We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the Commission so please contact us in the first instance.