• +353 (0)59 9170 300

Road Department Functions

If you are looking for an Application Form or Council Document you will find them in the All Publications section of this website or alternatively if you are looking for a Roads document or Application Form you can find in Roads Documents & Forms section of this website.

Public Lighting

Carlow County Council is responsible for the provision of public lighting in the County. This includes on street lights and the lights in housing estates that have been taken in charge.

Public Lighting Faults and Broken Lights

Carlow County Council is responsible for the maintenance and provision of public lighting within it’s area. The maintenance of public lighting is contracted to Airtricity Utility Solutions. Faulty lights may include unlit street lights or lights working during the day. Many street lights use photoelectric cells to switch the lights on and off. Photocells normally fail in the on position, enabling faulty photocells to be easily identified and replaced. If you notice a light that is on all day please report it.

Telephone Airtricity Utility Solutions on 1850 372 772 to report a faulty light. The information required:

  1. The town or village and street name.
  2. The location of the light ( for example, outside house number 5 ).
  3. The number on the pole.
  4. Your name and contact number.

Should you witness a street lighting unit being knocked over or indeed any other situation you feel requires immediate attention, do not hesitate to contact your local Area Engineer or Airtricity Utility Solutions, so that emergency attendance can be arranged. Never try to rectify the situation yourself as there is a serious risk of electrocution.

Typical items that constitute an emergency include:

  1. Damaged lighting column.
  2. Door or inspection cover open or missing from lighting column or illuminated sign.

If you have a tree in your garden that is affecting the efficiency of a lighting column or sign please keep it trimmed. Carlow County Council may order a landowner who fails to properly maintain trees or shrubs to trim them under the relevant Road Traffic Act. The reason for this is that Carlow County Council pays for the erection and running cost of a street light. A street light is deemed useless if trees or shrubs are blocking out the light.

Local Improvements Schemes

Carlow County Council has power under the Local Government ( Roads and Drainage ) Act, 1968, as amended, to construct and improve certain non-public roads, and to undertake minor drainage improvements. The costs to the Council in carrying out Local Improvement Schemes are met partly by State grant and partly by local contribution.

Road Opening Licences

A Road Opening Licence is required for any works to be carried out in a public area e.g. footpath, grass, open space, parks etc. Applications for Road Opening Licences can be applied through the MRL website.

The MRL system is managed and facilitated by the Road Management Office (RMO) www.rmo.ie and licences will be issued through the online system by Carlow County Council.

Registration on MRL: Non registered users – Road Management Office (rmo.ie)

Roads in Charge

The Roads Department issue, on request and for a €100 fee, certificates declaring whether or not a road is in the charge of Carlow County Council.

Abnormal Load Permits

The Roads Department processes applications in relation to permits for vehicles that exceed allowed legal limits as regards dimensions and weight.

Temporary Closing of Roads

Carlow County Council has power to temporarily close public roads for road races or other events, to permit the carrying out of works, or for any other purpose.

Trees and Hedges

There is an obligation on landowners and occupiers to ensure that roadside structures, trees, shrubs etc. do not become a danger to those using or working on a public road. Carlow County Council can serve a written notice on a landowner or occupier requiring the carrying out of specified works within a period of time stated in the notice to ensure the safety of those using or working on a public road. Section 46( b ) of the Wildlife ( Amendment ) Act 2000 states that it shall be an offence for a person to cut, grub, burn or otherwise destroy during the period beginning on the 1st day of March and ending 31st day of August in any year, any vegetation growing in any hedge or ditch.

Speed Limits

The Roads Department, in consultation with the Gardaí, is responsible for the introduction and scheduling of speed limits in the county. In 2005 Speed limits within the County were revised and the County Carlow Speed Limit Byelaws 2008 came into operation on 19th January 2005.

Road Safety

The Roads Department has a Road Safety Officer to advise the public on road safety matters and to co-ordinate road safety campaigns. A Road Safety Statement and Plan 2004–2009 is currently in operation.