If you are looking for an Application form or Council Document you will find them in the All Publications section of this website or alternatively if you are looking for a Housing document or Applications form you can find in Housing Documents & Forms section of this website

Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan

COVID-19 Note Regarding HPL1 Forms for Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan Application Form

A Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan is a new Government backed home loan for first time buyers. It is available nationwide from all Local Authorities from 1st February 2018 (subject to qualifying criteria). As a first time buyer, you can apply for a Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan to purchase a new or second hand property, or to build your own home. You can borrow up to 90% of market value of the property. Maximum market values of the property that can be purchased or self-built in County Carlow is €250,000.00.

Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan offers two Interest Rates as follows:-

  • 2.745% Fixed for up to 25 years.
  • 2.995% Fixed for up to 30 years.

To be eligible for a Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan you must:-

    • Be a First Time Buyer.
    • Be in continuous employment for a minimum of two years, as a primary applicant or be in continuous employment for a minimum of one year, as a secondary applicant.
    • Have an annual gross income of not more than € 50,000.00 as a single applicant or not more than € 75,000.00 combined as joint applicants.
    • Provide two letters of refusal from two banks or building societies.
    • Not be a current, or previous owner, of a residential property in, or outside the Republic Of Ireland.
    • Occupy the property as your normal place of residence.
    • Purchase or self build a property situated within the County of Carlow not exceeding 175 square metres (gross internal floor area).
    • Purchase or self build a property which does not exceed the maximum purchase price ceiling of € 250,000.00 for County Carlow.
    • Consent to an Irish Credit Bureau and / or Central Credit Register search.
    • Satisfy other criteria as stipulated by Carlow County Council.


For more information, to download a Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan Application Form, and to estimate how much you could be eligible to borrow, please see www.rebuildingirelandhomeloan.ie. You may also contact the National Helpdesk at 051-349720 or the Housing Department, Carlow County Council, Inner Relief Road, Tullow, Co. Carlow at 059-9170362, for more information.

Tenant (Incremental) Purchase Scheme 2016

A new Tenant (Incremental) Purchase Scheme is now available for eligible tenants to purchase their house from Carlow County Council. Eligible houses will be sold at a discount, based on household income, provided you meet the eligibility criteria for the scheme. In order to qualify to purchase your house, your primary source of income must be from employment. Certain houses are not included in the scheme. Please refer to the Tenant Information Booklet for further information, or contact the Housing Department at 059-9170362.

Mortgage Allowance Scheme

Tenants or tenant purchasers of a local authority house returning their existing house to the local authority and taking out a mortgage of at least €38,092 to purchase a house or to have a house built may qualify for a mortgage allowance. The allowance is also available to certain tenants of voluntary housing associations. The mortgage allowance is an allowance of up to €11,450 paid on a reducing basis over 5 years and is designed to ease the transition from rent to mortgage. The allowance is paid directly to the mortgage lender so that the beneficiaries mortgage repayments are reduced by the amount of the subsidy.

House Purchase and Improvement Loans

Individuals who wish to purchase a house or to build a house but cannot get a loan from a building society, bank etc. etc. may be eligible for a local authority housing loan. In order to qualify, such individuals must:

  • Have been refused a loan by both a bank and a building society.
  • Meet an income eligibility test.
  • The borrower or his or her spouse must never previously have purchased or constructed a house.