Carlow Local Authorities are committed to the provision of
high quality relevant services in an open and responsive
Phone: 059 9170300
The Carlow Local Authorities Motor Taxation office issues the following:
- Motor tax discs, driving licences, certificates of roadworthiness for commercial vehicles and trailers, duplicate driving licences and registration books.
- Trade plates for motor traders.
If you decide to call in person to the Motor Tax office you can save time by arriving in the morning. Please bear in mind that the first and last week of the month is busiest.
Online and Postal Services
Motor taxation of private cars may be renewed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week ( 24/7 ) by visting the Motor Tax online website. Carlow Local Authorities recommends use of this service.
Postal Services are by FREEPOST with a guaranteed three ( 3 ) working day return service.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where is my Motor Tax office located and what are the opening hours ?
The Motor Tax office is located at Carlow County Council, Athy Road, Carlow Town. The opening hours are from Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3.30pm.
- Do I need to sit a driver theory test ?
Yes, if any of the following applies to you : (1) You are applying for a 1st learner permit in any category. (2) Your previous learner permit has expired by 5 years or more or by 10 years or more in the case of a full driving licence. (3) You hold a current learner permit in a particular category but wish to apply for a learner permit in a category in which you have not previously passed the driver theory test in the past 2 years.
- How do I apply for the driver theory test ?
All enquires regarding the test including booking details, appropriate fee, location of the test centre and method of testing should be addressed to the Driver Theory Testing Service at 1890 606 106. Alternatively book online at www.dtts.ie. Be sure to have your Personal Public Service Number ( formerly R.S.I number ), credit card details and driving licence ( if you have one ) available.
- Where can I obtain a copy of the latest rules of the road handbook ?
Rules of the road handbook ( pdf 2.5mb )
- How do I apply for a driving test ?
Carlow Local Authorities recommend all drivers be they Learners, Licensed or Professional to visit the Road Safety Authority driving test website. Learner Drivers can get all the information they need about learning to drive in Ireland; from how to apply for your learner permit and where to take the theory test, to finding an approved instructor and where to buy the Rules of the Road booklet. There is also valuable information for licensed drivers, professional drivers, pedestrians and cyclists in addition to vehicle legislation and road safety.
- What documentation do I need to apply for a first, second or third learner permit or in the case of passing my driving test a full driving licence ?
Browse to the Licences and Learner Permits section of this website.
- Where can I obtain information on the Carbon Dioxide emissions based motor tax system ?
Browse to the Vehicle Tax Rates section of this website.
- How do I apply for the National Car Test ?
To apply for a car test contact the National Car Testing Service : (1) In writing to, The Customer Services Department, National Car Testing Service, Lakedrive 3026 , Citywest Business Campus, Naas Road, Dublin 24. (2) Telephone LoCall: 1890 412 413 ( 0800 - 2000 Mon - Thurs, 0800 - 1800 Fri ). (3) Fax : 01 413 5982. (4) Email: email@example.com