Carlow County Council are committed to the provision of
high quality relevant services in an open and responsive
Phone: 059 9170300
The Motor Tax office is located at Carlow County Council, Athy Road, Carlow Town. The opening hours are from Monday to Friday 9.15am to 3.30pm.
The Carlow Local Authorities Motor Taxation office issues the following:
- Motor tax discs, certificates of roadworthiness for commercial vehicles and trailers and registration books.
- Trade plates for motor traders.
If you decide to call in person to the Motor Tax office you can save time by arriving in the morning. Please bear in mind that the first and last week of the month is busiest.
Online and Postal Services
Motor taxation of private cars may be renewed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week ( 24/7 ) by visting the Motor Tax online website. Carlow Local Authorities recommends use of this service.
Postal Services are by FREEPOST with a guaranteed three ( 3 ) working day return service.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where is my Motor Tax office located and what are the opening hours ?
The Motor Tax office is located at Carlow County Council, Athy Road, Carlow Town. The opening hours are from Monday to Friday 9.30am to 3.30pm.
- How do I apply for the driver theory test ?
All enquires regarding the test including booking details, appropriate fee, location of the test centre and method of testing should be addressed to the Driver Theory Testing Service at 1890 606 106. Alternatively book online at www.dtts.ie. Be sure to have your Personal Public Service Number ( formerly R.S.I number ), credit card details and driving licence ( if you have one ) available.
- Where can I obtain a copy of the latest rules of the road handbook ?
Rules of the road handbook ( pdf 2.5mb )
- How do I apply for a driving test ?
Carlow Local Authorities recommend all drivers be they Learners, Licensed or Professional to visit the Road Safety Authority driving test website. Learner Drivers can get all the information they need about learning to drive in Ireland; from how to apply for your learner permit and where to take the theory test, to finding an approved instructor and where to buy the Rules of the Road booklet. There is also valuable information for licensed drivers, professional drivers, pedestrians and cyclists in addition to vehicle legislation and road safety.
- What documentation do I need to apply for a first, second or third learner permit or in the case of passing my driving test a full driving licence ?
Browse to the National Driver Licence Service section of this website.
- Where can I obtain information on the Carbon Dioxide emissions based motor tax system ?
Browse to the Vehicle Tax Rates section of this website.
- How do I apply for the National Car Test ?
National Car Testing Service ( external link )
The National Car Testing Service website provides information on payment options, how to book and prepare for the National Car Test ( NCT ).