• +353 (0)59 9170 300

Welcome to Motor Tax Services

If you are looking for an Application form or Council Document you will find them in the All Publications section of this website or alternatively if you are looking for an Motor Tax document or Applications form you can find it in Motor Tax Documents & Forms section of this website.

What you need to know when you visit.

The County Carlow Motor Tax office is located at: Carlow County Council, Athy Road, Carlow.

Opening Monday to Friday 9.15am to 1.30pm.

Postal Services

Tullow Area Office

Applications for Motor Taxation can be submitted to Tullow Area Office. Applications are processed within three working days and returned by post.

Tullow 9.15am to 3.30pm, closed during lunch. (059) 9136296.

Driving Licences

Carlow County Council no longer deals with Driver Licensing. Please go to www.ndls.ie for information

Online Services

What types of vehicles can be taxed online:

  1. Private Cars
  2. Motorcycles
  3. Agricultural Tractors, Excavators/Diggers and Combine Harvesters
  4. General Haulage Tractors
  5. Dumpers, Off Road Dumpers and Forklifts
  6. Hearses
  7. Vehicles adapted for use by disabled persons
  8. Vintage/Veteran Vehicles
  9. Motor Caravans (renewal only, subject to valid Certificate of Worthiness (CRW))
  10. Mobile Machines (renewal only, subject to valid Certificate of Worthiness (CRW))
  11. Commercial Vehicles (renewal only)

If your tax class is not listed you will need to contact your local Motor Tax Office to find out what is needed to tax your vehicle.

Motor Tax Rates

Motor tax rates can be found on the Motor Tax Online website.

For vehicle motor taxation renewals, your PIN number is as printed on your renewal notice.

In the case of the first taxing of a brand new or imported vehicle, the PIN is the last six characters of your vehicle’s chassis number as printed on your RF100 form.

If you have a query in relation to PIN Numbers you should contact Tel: (0818) 411 412 or e-mail: motortax@dttas.ie.

Declaration of Non Use of a Motor Vehicle

Please note that it is no longer possible to get a declaration of non-use in arrears witnessed by a Garda when taxing a vehicle. Declarations of non-use must be made in advance using form RF150 for a minimum three-month period. This declaration must be received by the motor tax office before the end of the current tax disc or previously declared non-use period (if applicable).